In this workshop we construct your knife as a full tang or a hidden tang.
Day 1: The forging class starts at 13:00 o'clock in our workshop
After a short safety briefing we design together your knife shape. Whether chef's knife, hunting knife, boner knife, Santoku, or for the "Oktoberfest" in Bavaria... we will help you design the perfect knife! Then we start forging and you form the glowing steel with hammer and anvil. After you have finished the forging process of the blade blank, we go on with Flex and belt sander and work out the finished blade shape. After refreshments, you choose a great grip material for your knife handle. In addition to free materials such as walnut, cherry, mahogany, etc. is available at an additional cost a HUGE selection of exclusive handle materials. For an outstanding masterpiece you can purchase tropical hardwood, burl wood, exotic wood, stabilized wood, fossil mammoth ivory, teeth and bone, and lots more.
The first Day of your knife forging lessons ends and the blade is annealed overnight in the oven.
Day 2: Knifemaking
We start the day with grinding the blade cut with the belt sander. If the blade is completely formed, we start professional hardening and tempering for hardeness of around 60 HRC rockwell. Then the blade finish and possibly the etching of the damask pattern* is done. In the subsequent design of your knife handle grip scales are glued and pinned without gap with the blade. In the end we sharpen your knife razorsharp.
Included in the price
- 1 itself forged knife
Kitchen knives: max. blade length 18cm
Other knives: max. 15cm blade length
- Blade material
- Damascus steel can be used for an extra fee
Kitchen knives 130,- €
Other knives: 110,- €
- normal wood handle
- Guidance from our instructor
- Sample and tryout pieces (if they were made)
- We speak gearman and basic english
- Please note that our courses require a minimum age of 18 years.
- No special knowledge is required for this course. A normal physical condition is sufficient.
- Female participants are also welcome (do not be shy, you can do it !!!)
- Hotel Recommendation: >>> click here <<<
- you can buy the necessary protective equipment at our workshop. (often, our prices are much cheaper than the hardware store and the quality is better!) you need goggles, dust mask ffp3, lined leather gloves with long cuffs, ear protection and work clothing made of cotton (!!!) safety shoes made of leather (or old but tough boots)