Day 1: The course starts at 9:00 clock at the following adress: Grebenhainer Str. 3, 36355 Grebenhain
After a short safety briefing our instructor will help you with the design of your knife. Whether chef's knife, hunting knife, meat knife, steak knife, Santoku ... we will help you design the perfect knife! Then it's already time to start the production of your Damascus package.
You weld different steels in the fire to a solid piece, doubling the number of layers by repeatedly folding and forge welding. Depending on your wish, up to 300 layers are created before you forge the Damascus steel to the required size by use of our pneumatic air hammer. After you have finished forging the blade blank, grind out the contour of the blade with the Flex and the belt sander. Then day 1 of your knife forging lessons is over and the blade is annealed overnight in the oven.
Day 2: Knifemaking like a professional knife maker
We start the day with the blade shape and use different tools and the belt sander. For this step we provide you high quality belt sander and tools to ensure that your blade is perfectly shaped. If the blade is completely formed, we will teach you the hardening and tempering process. Then the blade finish is done and you etch the blade to visually highlight the Damascus pattern.
After the blade is finished, we start with the design of your knife handle. Handle materials such as walnut, cherry, mahogany, etc. are included in the course price. For an extra charge you gain access to our HUGE selection of exclusive handle materials. These include tropical hardwood, walnut burl wood, exotic woods, stabilized wood, fossil mammoth ivory, teeth and bone, and lots more.
As soon as all items are prepared and adjusted the second day of the Damascus forged course ends.
Day 3: Handle-design
We start your last day in the blacksmith school with bonding all handle materials with the Damascus blades. Because of the special glue and the pins there is no gap between blade and handle, moisture is not able to penetrate. When the glue is dry, shape the handle until it feels perfect in your hand. Are all scratches, dents and waves once ground out, the handle will be polished and oiled. In the end of your knifemaker forging course we sharpen your knife until you can shave.
Included in the price
- 1 itself forged knife
Kitchen knives: max. blade length 18cm
Other knives: max. 15cm blade length
- Blade material (*for Damascus steel please select "blade from Damascus steel")
- normal wood handle
- Guidance from our instructor
- Sample and tryout pieces (if they were made)
- Please note that our courses require a minimum age of 18 years.
- We speak german and basic english
- No special knowledge is required for this course. A normal physical condition is sufficient.
- Female participants are also welcome (do not be shy, you can do it !!!)
- Hotel Recommendation: >>> click here <<<
- you can buy the necessary protective equipment at our workshop. (often, our prices are much cheaper than the hardware store and the quality is better!) you need goggles, dust mask ffp3, lined leather gloves with long cuffs, ear protection and work clothing made of cotton (!!!) safety shoes made of leather (or old but tough boots)